Friday, July 13, 2012

A Lesson by Candlelight

Last night the electricity went off in all of San Clemente! As we were watching our movie and trying to wind down for the evening we noticed that our fans went off and everything got much darker than it had been before. So Andrew went outside and sure enough not a light on our street was lit. Andrew called maintenance to see about how long it would take for everything to be up and running again, but all they knew was that power was out all over San Clemente and they had no idea as to when it would be back. It was really strange for me. Usually I am totally fine with power outages and accept them as a new adventure...but I've never been pregnant during a power outage. This led to me thinking how different the night could have been if we had a newborn asleep and had no power and no idea of when it would be back on. (I mean can you imagine changing a stinky diaper by candlelight?!) Which of course made me add one more thing to my "Things To Do before Julia Arrives" list....make sure I have a power outage emergency kit ready at all times. Thankfully I have an awesome husband who eases my silly fears and reminds me that a little power outage is not that bad and it won't be like this forever. Our power came back at some point while we were sleeping and I was very grateful!

SO....All of this to say God did use our time without power to teach me about what it means to be His child. While we were sitting in our living room floor with nothing but candles around us, I told Andrew that it is amazing to me that Julia has no idea what is going on right now. It is always dark for her. She does not know the difference between darkness and light. And really she doesn't have any worry that something would be wrong on the "outside." Her only concern is that she gets the nutrients she needs and really that isn't even a concern but it is simply something she whole heartedly depends on from me. She always knows that she will get what she needs. God used those thoughts and that conversation with Andrew to remind me that this is exactly what my dependence on Him should look like. Our dependence on God for our every need should be so engrained in our hearts that it is our way of life to just depend on Him and his provision for every need we could ever have. I read a poem to Julia a few days ago by John Piper and one of the lines that truly convicted my heart was:

 "The Son of God, the long expected One, has come. His name is Jesus Christ. He lived in love and sacrificed himself for sin and rose again to live and reign. Five hundred men can testify that he's alive. And now with all his might we strive to tell the world that everyone who turns from sin and trusts the Son will be forgiven every wrong, and sing an everlasting song. If God did not withhold the King, Will he not give us everything?" 

Then as I read Mark 6:53-56 yesterday one of the application questions I prayed over was "What is my focus- my physical needs or spiritual sickness?" Thus, in light of all that has been going on the last 48 hours I am left convicted of how desperately I need Jesus and how desperately I need to trust and depend on God just as Julia depends on me for all her sweet needs.

3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth (Norman) BartlettJuly 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM

    Beautiful thoughts---This may be totally weird--but I saw you had a blog on my Facebook feed, and I enjoy keeping up with a number of blogs (especially ones with messages about God!) so I added yours to my Google Reader feed--Hope you're doing well. Congrats on your baby girl to be. My husband and I also live in California--Northern near SF--if you ever want to visit the Bay Area--we have spare room so you have a place to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth (Norman) BartlettJuly 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM

    (Sorry--we went to high school together--this is a total random blast from the past.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Elizabeth! I'm glad you enjoy reading the little bits I post on the blog. It is fun to catch up with people through blogs for sure! It is wonderful hearing from you! Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete